Wednesday, 26 February 2014

Work in progress

I am currently working on a Victory Patterns Lola dress, which is taking longer that it should. 
undefined
image from Victory Patterns

I am using the fabric below, which I have mixed feelings about. I got it from one of my pattern cutting ladies, and it could easily be described as 'granny fabric'. Alternativley, it could be an 'interestingly textured' fabric:

I made up the pattern in a size 8 going on the measurements of the finished garment on the pattern. What I should have done, which I have been doing quite a bit recently, was to baste it all together to check the fit first. I don't know why I didn't, but what I ended up with was definitely a 'granny' look garment, complete with saggy baggy bust area! It was so bad I didn't even take any pictures. The potential of the design was there, but the finished item was not very flattering.

I have taken it apart and taken it in considerably on the princess seams in both the front and back.This meant I needed a little alteration on the skirt seams so that they will match up with the bodice when I sew it back together.

I am optimistic for the finished dress now, but it may take a while to finish. My over-locker is playing up and may need a service.  I cleaned out a small quantity of fluff the other other day, which I do reasonably regularly and now there seems to something wrong with the needle plate and or the stitch width finger. Something shifts whilst I sew and ends up obstructing the needle. I have broken 1 needle and bent another in the last week after 3 years of not breaking any. Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. I think whether it's granny fabric or not is all in the style of the dress. I bet your version is not granny like at all!

    What a pain about the overlocker. Hope you get a speedy repair!

    ReplyDelete