Pages

Monday 16 May 2011

Karen's Fabric Fandango

Saturday 14th May dawned reasonabley brightly, although I was feeling a little bleary eyed. (I had stayed up until nearly midnight the previous night finishing my Pendrell blouse, so that I could wear it to the Fandango).

Having been dropped off at Bishops Stortford, I started my journey across London, whilst Husband and the girls went off to sunny Surrey to catch up with some friends we haven't seen since we got back from NZ.

I got to Goldhawk Road ahead of the meet up time and had preliminary wander up the road. I got back to the meet-up point at 2.30 to find a group of fellow sewists gathered in the ticket hall. More and more people arrived, including several people from the Sew Weekly meet-up, and everyone was getting quite excited.

The Sew Weekly group left us after some happy hello's, and Karen got us all introduced and into more manageable sized groups for shopping, with a view to meet at 5pm in a bar up the road.



















My group was led by Handmade Jane, and consisted of me, Winnie from Scruffy Badger, Debi, and Aisha (I hope I have spelt that right). While I shopped with a very flexible mental shopping list, I admired Winnie's organised shopping - notebook complete with notes and swatches, and Aisha's restraint - swatches obtained and attached to the shop card, for considered purchasing later.















Aisha took the photo

I ended the shopping day with two jersey knits, and three prints:













I rather wish I had bought more of the dotty cotton, and also that I had looked for some plains for skirts/trousers. I had in mind to look for linen, but I couldn't see the weight or the colour I would have liked.

Having left most people in the bar comparing purchases, I left with my hoard, to join Husband and the girls at our friends house. My purchases were admired along with my restraint (!) before settling down with a glass (or two) of wine, a lovely meal and a good old catch-up.

4 comments:

  1. Tamsin, SO lovely to meet you & find your blog. Looking forward to seeing your makes!!! SB xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great to meet you Tamsin, I had a wonderful day. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea for a meetup!
    Sadly, the fabulous fabric shops of Goldhawk road are at threat of demolition.
    You can read the full details on Melissa’s blog:

    http://www.fehrtrade.com/article/444/save-goldhwak-road

    Please spread the word,join the facebook group, write to the council and lend your support in any way you can. Otherwise fabric shopping trips to Goldhawk road may sadly become a thing of the past.

    ReplyDelete