Monday, 27 June 2011

Madras Sorbetto

Along with the rest of the sewing world (or so it seems), I have made a top using the free download pattern Sorbetto from Colette Patterns. There are lots of lovely versions out there, so I thought I would follow suit:
Strangely, I quite enjoy the piecing together of the pattern before I even get to cut into my material, but I did have a problem that several other people had, in that my test square only measured 3.75cmx3.75cm. Not having the knowledge or patience to try and work this out I just decided to cut a bigger size, which seems to have worked.

Having looked at the pattern pieces, I felt that the top would probably be quite short and had resolved to cut it as long as I could, fabric permitting. Thankfully I am not the only person who didn't want a 'crop' top, as Karen very helpfully pointed out the length issue in her post about her top.

I used the scraps left from making and cutting out the girls tunic shirts to make my top. (I juggled the layout for the second tunic shirt so that I could be sure of having a reasonably sized piece left over.) None of the bias binding I had at home was suitable, nor could I find anything that would work in my local sewing shop, so I ended up making my owning bias binding out of the very last of the scraps. After initial troubles with this caused by cutting my strips too narrow, I am very pleased with the result.

I used some buttons left over from the girls tops (or stolen from the second top as it is not yet made - shhhhhh!) to embellish the pleat, which again I am very pleased with. To finish it off I used on the new labels Husband got for my birthday:
I have worn it several times since finishing it last week, but have yet to take a photo of me in it.

I was so pleased with it that I immediately set to on cutting out a second Sorbetto - which is a whole new story ....

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh pretty! I really like the fabric. I'm hoping to make my first sorbetto this weekend. Also, LOVE the labels!

    ReplyDelete