A little while ago I thought it was high time I remedied this and made a pair of trousers (post to come). Spurred on by this I had a vision of a skirt that had an inverted pleat and pockets at the front.
And I had the perfect fabric - a lovely jumbo corduroy that I bought at my local market some time ago:
|front to be cut as one piece|
I knew I didn't want it as long as the block we drafted or as flared. The pleat in the front was all wrong to start with - as drafted the pleat is wider at the bottom to help the fabric hang better when it is made up. This didn't work with the corduroy as it cut across the wale of the cord and looked terrible! I then folded the pleat so that it was equal all the way down and followed the lines of the cord which worked much better.
|My teacher said to cut away the back of the pleat to minimise bulk at the waistband|
I have worn this skirt loads since I made and really like it. I thought the pockets would be enormous, but they are perfect. It is pretty much exactly as I imagined it to be - that doesn't happen very often, so I am super chuffed!
|worn with unblogged Bronte Top|
|the skirt sits at my waist|
Also, a month or so after I finished it a Boden catalogue popped through the door with this skirt which I think looks pretty similar: