I have had this Sewaholic Minoru Jacket pattern for 3 or 4 years, and I also had all the fabric that I was going to use for a long time - but it is not this fabric! The fabric I had in mind is a much more wintery fabric and when I made this I was after a mild weather that wasn't a raincoat or a big big down coat.
This fabric was given to me by my mum after she had been having a bit of a clear out. She had had it for sometime and I have had it for a couple of years - I should think it is probably 25- 30 years old. It is a thick cotton fabric with a slight brushed feel on the reverse and feels amazing. I had mentally assigned this fabric to being trousers, but it seemed to be the perfect match for this coat.
I did it step by step, using the written instructions that came with the pattern and also the sewalong on the Sewaholic website. Having done lots of research on other Minoru's I had lots of things that I wanted to incorporate, but due to fabric restrictions couldn't, but I did know I wanted external pockets (which the pattern doesn't have). I used the pattern piece for in-seam pockets that Amy of Sew Well drew up.
I made a size 6 which is a size or 2 smaller than what I would normally make. I checked the finished garment measurements and decided that I wanted slim fitting coat for summer and therefore sized down.
The lining fabric for the body for the coat is the leftovers from making this Dear & Doe Plantain T, a couple of years ago. The sleeve lining is possibley silk. I did a burn test on it and I am pretty sure it is silk. I picked it up in one of my local charity shops for a few pounds.
You can see that I have put in both the internal pockets, but currently only use the right hand one. My phone fits perfectly into the pockets and I would normally favour the left pocket for my phone, but when I have tried it, my phone jabs uncomfortably in to the boob that I had my operations on last summer.
I am ridiculously pleased with this. Family and friends have been super impressed and several people have thought it was shop bought which is a bit of a result! I wore it constantly for the first week after finishing, then the weather got colder and I was back in my down coat for a while. If and when I make this again, I will size up as the fabric that I still want to use is much thicker and I will probably underline it aswell. I think also, that I would try welt pockets on the front - the in-seam pockets are just a fraction too far back.
|Out and about with Eldest and Middlest!|