Thursday, 16 September 2010

Two Blues

Having refashioned a couple of tops into a top for my Eldest, (blogged here), Middle daughter started to angle for a top as well. I was left with a dark blue body and pale blue sleeves and various scraps of the pale blue, so I got to work. I have not got an overlocker/serger so I have stitched both of these tops on a smallish zigzag to keep a bit of stretch in the fabric. I didn't want to have the same decoration on the top as Eldest's, so I had a look at some of Middle's tops for ideas. One that she wears alot had some flower motifs in a reverse applique style so I thought I would give that a try. I experimented with a couple of scraps and liked the effect, so on with the top...

I forgot to take pictures of the different stages, but here are a couple of the finished item..
After I had finished the flowers I found a tutorial for reverse applique here.

Wednesday, 15 September 2010

Finally finished flowers

Finally finished all my allocation of flowers. Some were easier than others to sew. The plain orange material was tough, it was almost as if it was repelling the needle! I was not the only flower sew-er to find this - I had to buy a thimble after piercing my thumb with the blunt end of my needle.